LAWRENCE — Local city councilors are the latest Merrimack Valley elected officials to back Market Basket’s suspended CEO, Arthur T. Demoulas.
“We have seen firsthand the lasting impact of Arthur T.’s values-based leadership, and we respectfully urge the board to take every action possible to welcome him back into a guiding role within the company,” states the letter, dated Sunday, to the Market Basket board of directors.
It’s signed by Lawrence City Councilors Gregory Del Rosario, Ana Levy and Celina Reyes.
The letter states that thousands of Lawrence residents rely not only on the store’s affordable groceries but its culture of dignity, fairness and community responsibility upheld under Demoulas’ leadership.
On Thursday, Methuen Mayor D.J. Beauregard backed Arthur T. Demoulas in a letter to the board and urged an end to boardroom drama on behalf of residents who shop and work at the city’s two Market Basket stores.
On Friday, Lowell Mayor Dan Rourke and the City Council voiced support for Demoulas in a letter to the board.
Demoulas has been suspended since May 28 for allegedly planning a work stoppage.
He and three board members had been at loggerheads, with the members claiming Demoulas refused to provide them with basic financial information needed to fulfill their oversight duties.
Also suspended on May 28 were two of Demoulas’ children and two loyal executives, Joe Schmidt and Tom Gordon, both of whom were fired Tuesday.
The company has also suspended District Supervisor Paul Quigley of Haverhill.
Board Chairman Jay Hachigian said there will be no changes at Market Basket stores.
“Market Basket will continue to provide the same great groceries at the lowest prices and live up to its culture and motto, ‘More For Your Dollar,’” Hachigian stated in a letter sent Friday to the Methuen mayor.
Also on Friday, the board’s lawyer, Harvey Wolkoff of the law firm Quinn Emanuel, which is investigating the alleged planned work stoppage by the CEO, has announced that the probe is nearly complete.
He said the board has decided to not release its findings until mediation has been given a chance, scheduled for Sept. 3.
Arthur T. Demoulas had yet, as of Sunday, to release a statement on the mediation.