If This House Could Talk begins on July 26, coinciding with the start of Yankee Homecoming. Homeowners are encouraged to hang a poster to share a story or information about their house or the people who have lived in it. Need inspiration? Read some of the stories from past participants.
When Nicholas Lake, a merchant and owner of 8-10 Spring St. died in 1900, he left his house and store plus all of the contents to his housekeeper of 18 years. The family contested the will…. and lost.
The owners of 21-25 Milk St. found coins behind a loose brick in their fireplace.
It is said that Sting attended a party at 10 Beck Street.
The Museum of Old Newbury (MOON) operates from a house donated to the historical society by Margaret Cushing. The Cushing family owned the house at 98 High St. from 1818-1955.
The Walsh family owned 284 Water St. from 1887-1974. In 1911, Walter J. Walsh, age 25, was arrested for breaking into an Amesbury store and stealing 24 cents.
The house at 4 Dove St. was built by Theodore Pearson in 1788. The Pearson & Sons bakery created hard-tack crackers, think Saltines, that were very valuable to people at sea. The family sold their bakery to the National Biscuit Company aka NABISCO.
Richard Parker was a foster cat who lived at 20 Washington St. and would take daily walks on a leash.
Thirty-four Boardman St. is one of the oldest houses on the street and was built by Offin Boardman III.
From 1866-1892, the house at 22 Olive St. was the original home for the Society for the Relief of Aged Females, aka the Old Ladies’ Home, before it moved to 75 High St.
The house at 65 Federal St. was once a fire station.
Charles H. Coffin built the row houses of 116-122 High St. in 1850 to rent to upper management of the local steam mills and shoe factories. This brought a new group of people to High Street, previously made up of wealthy merchants and mariners. It also reflected the change of Newburyport’s economy from a maritime center to a manufacturing hub.
The house at 88 High St. was built by William Hervey in 1870. It was built in the Second Empire style, which was popular at that time. The owners noted that this type of architecture is Hollywood’s preferred setting for horror films.
The Tracy Mansion, now a part of the Newburyport Public Library at 94 State St., entertained many noteworthy guests including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, John Hancock, Benedict Arnold, and Aaron Burr to name a few.
Renowned Newburyport physician Dr. Abby Noyes Little owned 22 Essex St. from 1905-1923. Besides working at Anna Jacques Hospital, she spent time in Europe working for the Red Cross during World War 1.
Built in 1805, 35-37 Kent St. was originally the North School House and was featured in an episode of “Flipping Boston.”
The Powder House at 57 Low St. was built in 1822 outside of town so no one would get hurt if the gunpowder it housed accidentally exploded. This unique structure was restored in 2009 by the Newburyport Preservation Trust and is available to tour upon request.
Want to join the fun? You must register your house at walknewburyport.com to be included on the map. The website also has information about how to get started, resources for DIYers, and a map that shows a list of all participants. Register by July 24.
Walking NBPT@3MPH is a great way to enjoy the architecture and stories of our city. Posters go up on July 26 and residents are asked to keep them up for two weeks.
Barb Bailey is a researcher for the Newburyport Preservation Trust and can answer questions about If This House Could Talk. She may be reached at Barb.Bailey03@gmail.com